Arsenal of the Izhevsk arms factory is an architectural monument of Russian classicism period of the XIX century. The start of Arsenal construction was laid by the architect S.E. Dudin in 1823, and final finishing was completed in 1827. The Emperor Alexander I who came to the Izhevsk factory and visited the Arsenal awarded S.E. Dudin for this masterpiece with the 4th class of the Order of Vladimir.

The architect designed the Arsenal taking into consideration the growth of the village, the future capital of Udmurtia. Given that the building eventually would grow into the city limits, the architect chose a vast field for it on the highest ground adjacent to the neighborhood of the village of Izhevsk factory.

Three facades are performed by the architect according to strict traditions of Russian classicism and have exactly the same composition: there are solemn six-columned porticos with triangular pediments in the center, there are slightly protruding wings - risalits - on the each side. The building has a U-shape, facing the south with the open part, so that all premises of the building receive a maximum of natural light within a day. In the center of the courtyard there is a building for assembling and cleaning of weapons, there was also a factory school over there where weapons assemblers and masters of their acceptance were taught professional secrets since childhood. This building was connected to the main one through galleries that allowed carrying guns in foul weather, keeping them dry. Arsenal's total area was 3000 sq.m.

For many decades weapons made by Izhevsk workers were kept and packed in special boxes in the Arsenal building, and then sent to military units. For the first half-century since launching of arms production the Arsenal received and handed over hundreds of thousands of rifles and pistols as well as many cold steel arms to the troops. One of its rooms at one time was a kind of a museum where samples of all types of weapons manufactured by the factory, models of their separate parts, iron and steel work pieces, tools, and models of factory machinery were gathered.

During the First World War, due to increased production, a 2-storey building was erected on the south side of the Arsenal which housed a gun stock workshop. Now, after renovation of the building, there is the residence of the President of the Udmurt Republic here.

In 1970 a small part of the Arsenal was reconstructed for exhibitions of the local history museum. In the spring of 1986 the entire building has been released for this purpose. In 2000 the museum was named after the famous Udmurt poet and public figure Kuzebay Gerd. Since 1975 the building of the former Arsenal has been a monument of federal significance.


287 Kommunarov Street

Department of information and analytics of the Izhevsk City Administration © 1998-2020

Any usage of web page materials should be accompanied by a reference (in the Internet – hyperlink), author enter